- Be Prepared
The ON THE ROAD PETTM Safe Travels and Adventures kit is a true “grab and go” product. We’ve thought of everything so you don’t have to. Our kits provide true value for money, look cool and are smartly designed to be a great addition to your recreational or emergency preparedness equipment. As packed, our Dayhiker can sustain a medium to larger dog for 24 hours.
- Ripstop Nylon Bag. Size: 17” H x 12” W. Weight loaded: 3.1 lbs. This ripstop nylon bag is sturdy and light to comfortably fit all of the included contents but big enough so you can throw in extras like your dog’s favorite toys and treats. Carry it as a stand-alone but it’s small enough fully loaded to fit in a larger pack. High visibility orange with reflector strips. Includes external mesh pockets and an internal zippered pocket to stash your dog’s meds.
Water. 5 U.S. Coast Guard approved packs of 4.225 oz. water with a five (5) year shelf life.
1 Silicon Bowl. Flattens for easy storage.
2 Bars of TurboPupTM (Complete K9 Meal Bars On The Go: www.TurboPup.com). TurboPup is available in two flavors: bacon and peanut butter, either of which are included in the kit. Each 2.2 oz. bar is nutritionally a complete meal. TurboPUP bars have been formulated to exceed AAFCO standards for all stages of life for dogs with added vitamins, minerals and omega-3s and with 28 grams of protein. TurboPUP bars have a 1-year “best by” date and are sealed in airtight foil packaging.
Nylon Braided Slip Leash and Collar Combination. One size fits all. Chihuahua or Great Dane. Seriously. In case you find yourself without a leash or collar, this all-in-one functions as both. 6’ long.
- DIY ID Tag. Maybe you’re visiting out of town or suddenly have a temporary address. We give you a pencil, insert and plastic tag to create a new ID tag on the fly.
- Blanket. Size: 84” x 52”. Retains 90% of body heat and can be used as a ground cover.
- Poop Bags. 3 bags. Because…do we really have to say it?
- First Aid Kit. This first aid kit was custom designed for us by a veterinarian. Contained in a resealable, waterproof bag, it includes an easy to understand Quick Tips First Aid & Poison Control guide and: 4 Alcohol Preps, 2 Iodine Preps, 4 Nonstick Pads, 3 Triple Antibiotic Ointment Packs, 2 Tongue Depressors for splints, 2 Nitrile Gloves, 1 2” Stretch Bandage, 1 pair Scissors, 1 Tweezers, 1 Instant Cold Compress, 1 first Aid Tape (Hypoallergenic), 2 Gauze Rolls
Q: WHY SHOULD I BUY THIS?
A: Seriously? We did all the work and you can go out, have fun and feel secure. Food, water, first aid. We hope you don't need these for emergencies...We hope you use everything on a fun get-a-way! So stop making lists, just click and order. Get another for your friend, your sister, your significant other than your Pup...You'll look like a genius.
Q: WHY DON'T YOU OFFER FREE SHIPPING?
A: We don’t offer free shipping because we're a really small company (but with big ambitions) and don't have the "muscle" (yet) to get super, deep discounted shipping rates like the Big Guys! However, we offer discounted “Flat Rate” shipping where possible to reduce your shipping costs. For those of you who are used to "free" shipping, we think this cartoon (which we have licensed from The New Yorker magazine) says it best about “free” shipping:
Q: WHY DO YOU HAVE 2 TYPES OF KITS?
A: We offer different Kits for different needs. Besides the obvious differences in the style of the bags and the pricing, both kits have the basics but the string bag has 4 pouches of 5-year shelf life water and 1 TurboPup food bar and the dayhiker has 5 pouches of 5-year shelf life water and 2 TurboPup food bars. String or dayhiker-they both work for you.
Q: CAN I SUPPLEMENT THE KIT WITH STORE BOUGHT EXTRA WATER AND FOOD?
A: Sure, but remember store bought bottled water, unlike our pouches, should be swapped out every 12 months and can become heat and light sensitive. With our water pouches, you won’t have to remember to do that. Every so often if you order extra pouches of our 5 year shelf life water and TurboPup food, you can keep a constant fresh supply.
Q: WHY DO YOU USE U.S. COAST GUARD APPROVED WATER WITH A 5 YEAR SHELF LIFE INSTEAD OF STORE BOUGHT BOTTLED WATER?
A: Bottled water has a limited shelf life and can be a breeding ground for water borne bacteria depending on where it’s stored and how it’s exposed to heat, light and air. The Red Cross and the CDC recommend that bottled water be rotated out every 12 months. Over time, depending on the plastic, chemicals can leech into the water. Unlike bottled water, 5 year shelf life emergency water is packaged to ensure that the purified water, the package and the packing equipment are commercially sterile and 100% bacteria free at the time of production. The sealed package preserves the purified drinking water by preventing contact with light or air. An interior layer of the pack does not allow the water molecules to penetrate the package, thus preventing an unpleasant taste over time.
Q: CAN’T I JUST PUT TOGETHER MY OWN KIT?
A: Of course but we’ve taken the hassle out of doing that and provided a “grab and go” kit with carefully thought out components and a first aid kit custom designed for us by a veterinarian. We’ve done it at a price that you wouldn’t be able to match if you went out and bought the components separately yourself. Besides, we know that even with the best intentions, most people just never get around to assembling their own kit. So, stop feeling guilty about not doing it and take care of it with ON THE ROAD PET.
Q: WHY DON’T YOU INCLUDE TOYS AND TREATS IN YOUR KITS?
A: We include “everything you need and nothing you don’t” so you’re not paying money for extra items that your dog (or you) may not like. Both bag styles have extra room to accommodate stuff that you may want to add such your dog’s favorite chew toy and treats but we’re not charging a lot of extra money for stuff you really don’t need and may not want.
Q: CAN I USE THE KIT FOR EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS FOR MYSELF AS WELL AS FOR MY DOG?
A: Yup. The water is human grade and you may actually like the TurboPup food bars. The emergency blanket works great for humans and the first aid kit can be used for people as well as your pet. The key in an emergency is to have water and shelter. If you want to add items specific for people, you will want to add a flashlight, a lightstick (make sure that your pet doesn’t get a hold of this, as it contains chemicals for illumination), hand cranked radio, solar or battery cell phone charger, to name just a few items. If you want the kit to do double duty as a pet and people emergency kit, MAKE SURE THAT YOU ADD ADDITIONAL WATER POUCHES.
Q: CAN I KEEP THE KIT IN MY CAR?
A: The kits are designed to be thrown in your car, closet or your garage until you need them. So long as the water and food pouches are sealed, the kit can be kept in a hot or a cold car. You’re good to go.
Q: WHY ARE THE COMPONENTS IN PLASTIC BAGS INSTEAD OF NYLON OR OTHER CONTAINERS?
A: We designed our kits to look cool but practicality is first and foremost. The plastic bags are resealable 4 mil. commercial grade. If you keep the first aid kit sealed in its plastic bag it will stay dry even if the rest of the kit gets wet. If a water pouch breaks, it will be contained in the plastic bag and not get other stuff wet. Yeah, plastic bags aren’t stylish but they are practical.
Q: CAN I USE THE KIT FOR MY CAT?
A: Sure. We aren’t aware of a comparable food product like TurboPup on the market for cats so make sure that you keep foil bags of dry cat food in your kit and swap them out for fresh bags at least once a year. You should think about adding a small bag of lightweight kitty litter and a paper tray as well. We recommend that you stash the ON THE ROAD PET kit in your cat’s carry case for convenience.
Think you'll never be forced from your home by a natural disaster or stuck in your car
overnight in a snowstorm? That only happens to other people. But “Stuff Happens” and we know we should be prepared.
In case you think this is alarmist, it’s not. We just want you to be prepared.
“I knew Superstorm Sandy was coming…but I certainly never thought I’d have 5 minutes to get out of my apartment. Who thought something like that would happen to me? Water was rushing in from all directions. I didn’t have a chance to think, let alone try and grab what I might have needed. My 2 dogs were frightened and we had to wade through 4 ft. of water and sludge to get outside only to find ourselves with no supplies…no food, no fresh water. Ended up with all the pet parents huddled together on the top floor of our building. We couldn’t leave Hoboken for days—it was very difficult. Never again…. I now have an ON THE ROAD PET bag stashed in my car and another one hanging on the hook at the door, just in case.”
Photo Credit: Rachel S., Superstorm Sandy, Hoboken, New Jersey
YOU SAY YOU WILL BUT WE KNOW YOU WON’TYou might have thought about making a “Grab and Go” bag but of course, you haven’t done it. Stop beating yourself up, click on “Buy Now” and take care of this. Our Safe Travels and Adventure Kits contain everything you need to take care of your dog (and you, by the way) in an emergency. Consider this:
- Even if you get to a shelter, it may not have supplies for you and your dog (or cat). You’ll need water, dog food, a collar and leash, ID for your pet, a first aid kit and of course, poop bags. You may be there for a while.
- Keep a kit in your home and car. Do we have to remind you about people stuck in their car overnight in a blizzard on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago or on the Long Island Expressway? Baton Rouge? Superstorm Sandy? Those people never thought it would happen to "them." Throw the kit in your car or closet and hope you never have to use it.
- Even if you live in a no-snow area, you probably live in a high risk fire area (California, Arizona) where you may have literally 3 minutes to clear out. Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes anyone? Floods? We could go on, but you get it. The U.S. is a huge country and each of us, no matter where we live, will experience a significant weather or natural disaster "event" in our lives.
- The Kit doubles as an emergency preparedness “grab and go” bag for people too. We suggest that you add a flashlight, a lightstick (make sure that your pet doesn’t get ahold of this, as it contains chemicals for illumination), a hand cranked radio and a solar or battery cell phone charger, to name just a few items. If you want the Kit to do double duty as a pet and people emergency kit, MAKE SURE THAT YOU ADD ADDITIONAL WATER POUCHES.
We want you to know what to do. Check out these helpful websites: